Ensuring our next generation succeeds
This issue of Looking Forward, Giving Back celebrates Phase I of Grow Our Own, a 10-year commitment by our Board of Directors to create prosperity for all southwest Minnesota kids and the communities they call home. For the past three years, we’ve worked to raise awareness about the growing opportunity gap facing American kids today and the 1 in 6 southwest Minnesota kids living in poverty.
Socioeconomic status, community wealth, familial situations, race, ethnicity, English proficiency and other factors impact children’s ability to reach their full potential. These kids are our future employees, entrepreneurs, community leaders, volunteers, homeowners, taxpayers and parents. We believe ensuring our next generation can succeed is the most important thing we can do for the future of southwest Minnesota.
In fiscal year 2019…
- Southwest Initiative Foundation received $2.1 million to all our funds from the people, businesses and organizations that care about southwest Minnesota. Thank you to each of the 2,361 donors who supported our mission and make our work possible.
- We awarded 548 totaling $1.6 million from all our funds to help nonprofits and communities in our region.
- Our loan programs leveraged $13.8 million in outside funding. We closed 30 loans totaling $2.1 million and supported seven new businesses solely owned by women.
- We secured $1.8 million for Grow Our Own programming and 460 people attended the Grow Our Own Summit.
- We welcomed two new affiliate partners: Cottonwood Area Community Foundation and Glencoe Area Community Foundation.
Donors and friends make this work possible with their support. Thanks to each of you!See 2019 Highlights
Looking Forward, Giving Back
Learn about the impact of giving and grantmaking in southwest Minnesota:
- Rooted and growing in southwest Minnesota: Bob and Joanne Thurston
- Vibrant communities at every age: Dorothy and Ron Williams
- Celebrating 20 Years of Local Community Foundations
- Lending a hand in Lake Benton
- Ensuring our next generation succeeds, Diana Anderson
Our volunteer Board of Directors, led by Board Chair Randy Reinke, represents the best of southwest Minnesota. They are a committed and experienced group of regional leaders actively involved in serving our mission. Bob Thurston, Spicer, and Mary Maertens, Marshall, retired from our board after a combined 15.5 years of service. Their leadership guided us during a time of change, while their insights led to new and positive ideas. We appreciate their investment in southwest Minnesota!
New members elected to our board of directors are Dan Greve of Worthington and Theresa Zaske of Balaton.
In 2019, we welcomed Andrea Duarte-Alonso to the foundation as a Lead for America Fellow. During her two-year fellowship, Andrea is focusing on Census Outreach, facilitating conversations among young leaders and expanding efforts around diversity, equity and inclusion in southwest Minnesota.
The notes to these statements are an integral part of the financials. Please email us or call us at 800-594-9480 to request our complete audited financials.