We provide grants and programs to create opportunities for all people to thrive in our local communities.
At Southwest Initiative Foundation, our grantmaking, proactive programming and community-led belonging activities help create opportunities for all people to thrive in the communities they call home.
Solve Local Challenges
Build True Belonging
Draw in New Leaders
Being an active community member has its challenges…
- You love your community and want to make sure its future is bright, but you don’t know where to start.
- You have a project in mind to do good but not enough funding to make it happen.
- You want to connect with other community members who want to work on projects, but you don’t know who they are.
- Barriers like language or finances keep you from participating the way you want to, and you’re not sure how to get around them.
You’re a powerful force for good in your town, and we’re here to support you!
A full team of Southwest Initiative Foundation staff focus on rural equity, youth and family and civic and community engagement in our rural region.
Our work includes:
- Nonprofit capacity building
- Support of children and youth programing
- Resources to celebrate Welcoming Week and engage in Welcoming Communities Project
- Support for emerging community leaders
- Support for Age Friendly Communities
- Building resiliency after emergencies and natural disasters
- And more!
3 Ways to Get Connected
Grantmaking is at the heart of our role as a community foundation. We accept grant concept ideas on an ongoing basis and provide defined grant rounds throughout the year.
We’re a partner in deepening and building trusting relationships across differences. We listen, learn, and support communities that have been excluded.
We make connections through local events that support a vibrant and welcoming region here in southwest Minnesota.
3 Steps to Making a Difference
Tell us more about your project or idea that will help your community thrive.
Together, we’ll find which program works best to support your goals or connect you to other resources.
Make a real impact.
Apply the ideas to your community to see what can happen next.
What Community Leaders Are Saying…
“I’m excited about this leadership program because I believe it will give me opportunities to learn many skills, build confidence, connect with people and enhance my leadership skills. Leadership is very important to me, and it’s about being a good role model, taking responsibility and serving others.”
Hsa Mu, Growing Local: Emerging Leaders (Marshall)
“We’ve always wanted the space to be accessible for everyone and have scholarships available for when cost is a factor. The Grow Our Own grant helps us reach even more families.”
Katie Luoto, Rise + Roam Indoor Play Space (Litchfield)