We have many awesome people who are living and working in our communities. Yesterday, we held our SWIF Board of Directors meeting in Appleton and had a chance to connect with some of Appleton and Milan’s finest over lunch.
As usual, our board members enjoyed getting to know more about two communities in our region from the people who know them best. Guests talked about the impact of our local community foundation affiliates – the Appleton Community Foundation and the Milan Community Foundation—as well as SWIF loan support to businesses in the area.
We also asked guests to share what they thought were their communities’ assets. Here’s what they said:
- Strong arts culture, including Meader, Milan Village Arts School and many individual artists
- Community foundations, including endowment fundraisers that allow lasting impacts through grantmaking
- Sustainable energy projects
- Former Milan School building as a center for many activities
- Fiber-optic communication system
- Lake and natural surroundings
- Pioneer Public TV as an economic and social influencer
- Prairie Correctional Facility as an economic opportunity
What would you add to this list?