Grantmaking is a key role of community foundations like Southwest Initiative Foundation.
Most of our grants are awarded through our more than 120 fund partners, which have their own grant application guidelines. If you have a fund in your area, it may be a resource for you.
We can award grants to nonprofit organizations, schools, government agencies and projects that use one of these entities as a fiscal partner. We don’t award grants to individuals or to start a business. Instead, entrepreneurs can talk to our loan team. If the business plan seems like it could be a fit for Southwest Initiative Foundation, our loan team will help you apply for financing.
The grant process begins by completing a pre-application questionnaire.Start the Grant Process Now
We have no open grant rounds at this time. To stay current on news and opportunities at the foundation, subscribe to our email newsletter.
If believe your project fits our guidelines and criteria, complete the online pre-application questionnaire.
After you submit your questionnaire:
- You will receive an email confirming our receipt of your pre-application questionnaire.
- After reviewing your completed questionnaire, we will contact you to either invite or decline a full application. Our team meets monthly to review and discuss each grant inquiry. If we invite a full application, you are still not guaranteed a grant. This is an indication that we want to hear more about your project because it meets the basic requirements for funding. If we decline a full application, we will share our reasons and may refer you to other potential funders.
- We send you the full application, for you to complete and return.
- Upon receipt, your full application is assigned to a staff grant reviewer. They will contact you with questions and schedule a site visit, if deemed necessary.
- The grant reviewer will make a recommendation to the president or board of directors, depending on the amount requested.
- You will be informed after the final decision is made, which may include a reduction in the amount of requested funding, a full or partial matching challenge, payment schedule or other stipulations.
- Once we receive the required documents, the funds will be distributed as outlined in the grant agreement and announced to the media.
- Project reports will be required as outlined in the grant agreement. This information may be used as a learning tool to help other organizations and guide future foundation funding.