Grantmaking is a key role of community foundations like Southwest Initiative Foundation.
Most of our grants are awarded through our more than 120 fund partners, which have their own grant application guidelines. If you have a fund in your area, it may be a resource for you.
We can award grants to nonprofit organizations, schools, government agencies and projects that use one of these entities as a fiscal partner. We don’t award grants to individuals or to start a business. Instead, entrepreneurs can talk to our loan team. If the business plan seems like it could be a fit for Southwest Initiative Foundation, our loan team will help you apply for financing.Fill out the grant pre-application questionnaire
COVID-19 resources for nonprofits
- Propel Nonprofits COVID-19 resources for nonprofits
- Find out about loans available to nonprofits in the CARES Act
- Minnesota Council of Nonprofits – COVID-19: What Nonprofits need to know
- SBA Disaster Assistance Loan Application – Nonprofits are eligible to apply
- Otto Bremer Trust Emergency Fund – For nonprofits and local governments
- Spring Board for the Arts Emergency Relief Fund – For artists and communities
If your nonprofit or community is experiencing a need we should know about, please contact Nancy Fasching.