Grantmaking is a key role of community foundations like Southwest Initiative Foundation.
Most of our grants are awarded through our more than 120 fund partners, which have their own grant application guidelines. If you have a fund in your area, it may be a resource for you.
We can award grants to nonprofit organizations, schools, government agencies and projects that use one of these entities as a fiscal partner. We don’t award grants to individuals or to start a business. Instead, entrepreneurs can talk to our loan team. If the business plan seems like it could be a fit for Southwest Initiative Foundation, our loan team will help you apply for financing.
COVID-19 Recovery Nonprofit Capacity Grants
Southwest Initiative Foundation is offering a round of capacity building grants to support the vitality of 501(c)3 nonprofit organizations directly serving our southwest Minnesota people and communities. These capacity building activities are intended to support the nonprofit’s ability to carry out its work as it navigates beyond COVID-19.
Areas of Focus
- Mission, Vision and Strategy – Activities to strengthen the core planning of an organization in line with its overall purpose. Examples include strategic planning and program evaluation
- Governance and Leadership – Activities geared toward strengthening equity, fostering leadership and governance. Examples include cultural competency development, succession planning or board training
- Resource Development – Activities designed to ensure financial stability. Examples include business or financial planning, marketing or fundraising strategy development
- Internal Operations and Management – Activities contributing to a strong and sound core infrastructure. Examples include staff development, analysis of racially equitable practices or infrastructure including technology. Major capital expenses are excluded
- Assistance with Core Operations – Filling revenue gaps created by COVID-19’s disruption. Sustainability must be identified
Applications will be accepted through June 4, 2021. Find the full grant guidelines by downloading the request for proposals (RFP) below.Apply for a COVID-19 Recovery Nonprofit Capacity Grant
COVID-19 resources for nonprofits
- Propel Nonprofits COVID-19 resources for nonprofits
- Find out about loans available to nonprofits in the CARES Act
- Minnesota Council of Nonprofits – COVID-19: What Nonprofits need to know
- SBA Disaster Assistance Loan Application – Nonprofits are eligible to apply
- Otto Bremer Trust Emergency Fund – For nonprofits and local governments
- Spring Board for the Arts Emergency Relief Fund – For artists and communities
If your nonprofit or community is experiencing a need we should know about, please contact Nancy Fasching.
If you’re seeking funding for work that doesn’t fit one of our open grant rounds, you can submit a pre-application questionnaire to tell us more about the project.Fill out the grant pre-application questionnaire