Have you been looking for ways to boost community engagement and attract new people to serve on local boards and committees?
The Growing Local: Boards and Commissions workshop series is your opportunity to build more inclusive boards and committees that make a difference in your community.
We’re partnering with University of Minnesota Extension Educators to host this FREE virtual workshop series.
- Understanding our own expectations around boards and commission and how people show up in that space
- Practices to support greater equity, inclusivity and belonging
- Strategies to welcome and value new voices, perspectives and ideas
Workshop Topics & Dates
- Session 1: Community and Culture, Tuesday, August 15, 3-5 p.m. (Virtual)
What are the current demographics of southwest Minnesota, and what will it look like in the future? Does your board accurately represent your community? In this session we will provide an overview of board culture and identify a number of cultural agility concepts.
- Session 2: Barriers to Inclusion, Tuesday, August 29, 3-5 p.m. (Virtual)
In Session 2, we will dig deeper into concepts of cultural awareness and belonging, and identify barriers to inclusion. We will identify key words and responses related to uncomfortable conversations, and discuss how to build inclusive and resilient boards and committees.
- Session 3: Solutions, Tuesday, September 19, 3-5 p.m. (Virtual)
In this final session, we look at what can be done to meet the needs of our changing communities, identifying resources and ideas to support inclusion, and help transform your board culture.
- Save the date! We’ll host an optional networking event on October 10 where you can meet our Growing Local: Emerging Leaders cohort graduates, network and share with other community leaders.
To maximize your learning and growth, we strongly urge you to join all three workshop sessions as each session will build on the previous one!
Who Should Attend
The Growing Local: Boards and Commissions Workshop Series is open to members of boards, committees, and commissions related to local government, schools, and nonprofits. Staff at these organizations are also welcome to attend. Full boards or committees are encouraged to attend together, if possible, though individuals can register by themselves.
Registration has closed. Thank you for your interest in this workshop!