We want all our kids to have the best possible start to a healthy life of learning, achieving and succeeding.
This is the goal of Grow Our Own. It’s also been the goal of our Early Childhood Initiative. This statewide network started in 2003 to help our youngest citizens get the best possible start to life.
Local coalitions connect volunteers, agencies, schools, employers and others to support children birth to 5 and their families. They work to increase school readiness, build awareness about the critical development that takes place in early years of life and engage local citizens in advocacy to increase investments and sound public policy for young children and their families.
Investing in early childhood is the best investment we can make for our future. The Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis has found up to a $16 return for every dollar invested in high-quality early learning. We see benefits in lower crime and healthcare costs and higher school achievement and earnings.
- Every child must have the opportunity to learn, be safe and be loved.
- Parents have the most important role to play, but need and deserve the support of the broader community to be successful.
- All children must enter school ready to learn.
- Investments in our youngest children lead to valuable economic impact in our communities.
- The best interests of our youngest children must be a priority for local leaders and all policy-makers.