Welcoming America‘s Welcoming Week is a time when people—in communities large and small, rural and urban—celebrate the benefits of an inclusive society and deepen our commitment to creating places that are welcoming to everyone, including immigrants, refugees and other people who have been systematically excluded.
Together with Pioneer PBS, we’re sponsoring #WelcomingWeek events across southwest Minnesota. By creating home together, we call for our communities, workplaces and region to be safe and welcoming places where everyone feels they are valued and belong.
Join us in creating home together!
- GRANITE FALLS and UPPER SIOUX COMMUNITY – Saturday, Sept. 12, 12-4 pm Prentice Street in Granite Falls Experience and contribute to community art, share your thoughts about what makes a community feel welcoming, stop by Bluenose Gopher Public House and more! Full details
- WILLMAR – Friday, Sept. 18, 5-7 pm Selvig Park downtown Enjoy music and experience a drumming circle, create chalk art, learn about the 2020 Census, register to vote and more thanks to Willmar Main Street and local organizations! Full details
- WORTHINGTON – Saturday, Sept. 19, 2-5 pm Centennial Park/Beach Nook Create art with Artmobile and purchase treats from Antojitos Mexicanos Socorro! Register to vote and explore community resources. Educators will be available to help parents/caregivers navigate school technology, too. Full details
- The Southwest Minnesota Story Share project’s goal is to survey our viewing area for new voices and story ideas to increase the prospects of national television distribution of stories from rural America.
- In collaboration with other PBS stations in Minnesota, Pioneer PBS is also seeking stories from viewers that deepen our understanding of our state’s origins and immigration history through Moving Lives Minnesota: Stories of Origin and Immigration.
This is a time for us to elevate a spirit of unity and show how our communities can be most successful when everyone feels at home in the places they call home!