In southwest Minnesota, child care providers care for more than 10,000. That’s huge. But there are an estimated 4,700 more kids who lack access to quality, affordable care. Meanwhile, individual child care providers are leaving the field for many reasons, including feeling undervalued. Child care is a critical part of our economy and communities in southwest Minnesota, and we hope you’ll join us in supporting providers.
Recognize child care providers, teachers and other educators of young children with these ideas:
- Celebrate Provider Appreciation Day with us on May 11, 2018. Snap a photo with the kids and their provider at drop-off and post to Facebook, Twitter or Instagram with the reasons your child care provider is awesome. Tag your photo #providerappreciationday so southwest Minnesota can see how important our providers are to local families, businesses and communities. If you’re on Facebook, mention @SouthwestInitiativeFoundation in your post! Find us on Facebook.
- Get together with other parents to create a surprise.
- Send a handwritten note of appreciation. *This is a great idea for parents of grown children, grandparents, area employers — anyone! Providers support all aspects of our community by caring for our kids; let them know you see their contributions, even if you don’t have young children.
- Work with your child to create a special remembrance.
- Buy something for your provider’s play area.
- Check to see if your employer provides scholarships for toys, equipment or training that you can sponsor as a parent.
- Celebrate someone who has made a difference for the kids in your life by making a gift in their honor to the Child Care Provider Appreciation Day campaign. Your gift supports our comprehensive, regional approach to find sustainable solutions to the child care crisis. Invest in solutions.
Southwest Initiative Foundation is committed to supporting quality child care, a critical part of our economy and communities in our region. Learn more about our work in rural child care.